The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

How are you using Accelerated Reader (AR) in your classroom? Do you feel AR is a good tool for differentiation and motivation?

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm just not sure how AR is a differentiation tool. Its not a teaching tool or strategy but a quiz tool. I think it could be motivational, but not part of differentiated instruction.
I differentiate by helping each student set goals based on their individual reading ability. We give the STAR reading test to get a general idea, and then adjust them as needed. I disagree with teachers who set one goal for the entire class. It's not good teaching to expect the poorest readers to read as much as the best readers. Likewise, setting one low goal so that everyone can meet it is a disservice to the brightest students.
I am using AR. I am not sure how to use it for differentiation, but it can be motivational for some students. Pizza Hut has given us coupons to use as needed. I give a coupon once a month for the students who score 10/10 on the quiz.
I don't look at individual quizzes as much as I look at their Average Percent Correct. AR says that should be between 85% and 92%. If students consistently get 10 out of 10 on quizzes, they need to be reading harder books. Since my grade is the first year they use AR, I'm lenient at first about letting them read "easy" books, but after we get rolling, I encourage them to read books that will increase their vocabulary and introduce them to new authors and writing techniques. We work to find "just right books" and reinforce this idea.
Those lessons you do on finding the right books are the differentiation part. The quiz and the test score are not. The scores should only be helping teachers know if their kids are choosing the right books or if they need help with comprehension.
Right. And the setting of goals is important too. Helping each student choose the right books, giving them time to read them, and setting goals appropriate to their individual reading ability means that each student has the opportunity to succeed at their own level. Differentiation.
Just to get the students motivated and reading, I start out simple.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Robin Wilkins posted a status
"What are you up to?"
Apr 27
Robin Wilkins updated their profile
Apr 22
Robin Wilkins posted an event

Educators perception on student engagement and professional development needs at Virtual time and date to be mutually agreed upon

April 22, 2022 to May 13, 2022
Student Researcher looking for educators interested in participating in an interview and focus group.Share your perceptions. See flyer for detailsRobin_Wilkins_RecruitmentFlyer032822.docxSee More
Apr 22
Robin Wilkins posted a discussion

Looking for educators who teach in inclusive classrooms.

My name is Robin Wilkins and I am a student researcher. I am conducting a study in which I would like to share the perceptions of teachers who teach in inclusive settings (non-disabled and disabled students) regarding engaging students and professional development needs to engage students.Robin_Wilkins_RecruitmentFlyer032822.docxSee More
Apr 22
Robin Wilkins left a comment for kristine francisco
"Looking to post a flyer on my page for teachers interested in participating in my upcoming research on student engagement. The research involves one online interview and an online focus group. Do you know who I have to contact to get…"
Mar 24
Robin Wilkins posted a status
"Completing doctoral work."
Mar 22
kristine francisco updated their profile
Feb 23
Norma-Jean Nielsen replied to Andrea Ray's discussion Is Professional Development Still a Joke?
"Thank you Shawn for your insights. My EdD research (2018) around professional development of college teachers in rural locations (in Ontario, Canada) indicated that agency and institutional support were key factors in active professional…"
Jan 13

Events

© 2022   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service