First and foremost, the tour on Friday was great. Overall from the weekend:
1. What IS Smart? We should all try to define that, and differently than we do now.
2. A Caring Community: Isn't that what all schools should be?
3. The learning space needs to be right for learning
4. Meeting people in person that you already know from twitter is very cool and it is incredble in so many cases how we recognize those in our PLN and know them already.
5. Connected learning is powerful.
6. Inquiry based instruction is the best and only way to go.
7. Project based learning beats the heck out of memorization based learning.
In the meantime, I have saved some posts by others in my Delicious account under tag Educon - http://delicious.com/bhsprincipal/educon Great stuff! I feel very fortunate to have been a part of it and to have been around so many forward thinkers!
Educon was simply a great experience. To be around such a tremendous group of educators was inspiring! The passion and depth was apparent throughout each session, however, it was the thirst for further knowledge and understanding which was truly honorable!
A conference like Educon provides a pick-me-up in the middle of the year! It proves there are other educators who want to improves themselves, their students, and their fellow educators!
Many thanks to Chris and everyone at SLA! A truly Great Experience!
For me, the student involvement was the most striking, and the realization that teacher empowerment is so tightly coupled with student empowerment and voice. I wrote about this last year after Educon 2.1 and it was just as striking this year as last.