The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

How do you think online learning is helping people around the world?

We all know how much technology has been of a help for all of us. It has been quite influential in the education sector as well. So, what do you people thin about it? Is online education is viable option for the learners? 

Views: 498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is very complicated question for which there is no simple answer. Ability to learn online is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand it provides better access to educational resources, and makes learning more affordable. Having said that it glues people to the computer screens and deprives them of real human interaction, allows them being less disciplined and takes away the pressure created by being in the classroom. It also makes learning faceless.

In general I think it is great for the ones who strive to learn, and have discipline to do it while sitting at the computer. It is much worse for those who dislike learning as they will never catch the learning "virus" from a peer or a teacher, and will have every opportunity to do less.

Thank you so much for your views Sergey Semenyuk. I really appreciate what you think about online learning! 

An online education provides an opportunity for students to make connections and learn at their own pace. I have taken several online courses for my M.Ed degree, and at first, I was hesitant. I've realized through taking the online courses that just as much, if not more, collaboration and interaction can occur. Students are able to explore material as much or as little as needed. Online courses are the essence of a flipped classroom: the materials and lectures are all provided and then students practice. I have to say, I'm a fan of online learning.

Absolutely correct Brittany! Online education just makes education so much more simpler! 

Online classes have a very different way of educating students than traditional collage. As an online student, you also can participate in class discussions, review lessons, and chat with the on-campus students and faculty while sitting with your home computer. The benefits of online courses are many like it saves cost & time and it is flexible.

The benefits of e-learning courses have been validated by organizations across the world.

I agree with   Brittany, it has helped the students immensely and in various ways. especially since the economic scenario poses numerous challenges where the students are in a dilemma as to whether they should opt for their further studies or should they take up a job instead.    

This question encompasses a wide area. Now a days we see that people resort to a lot of media for learning purposes and it's becoming the best one to learn and grow. Online is definitely a viable option for learning process as it gives the learner a realtime experience and also the user can do it as per his convenience. Online media serves as a major reservoir of knowledge database and also many testing tools are now a good tool to judge ones learning. So I feel its a great asset for one who wants to learn.

People who were compelled to leave education due to financial constraints or anything are now fortunate to fulfill their dreams through online learning. Online education has become blessings for many who failed to attend regular classes in colleges/ universities given them the chance to get global degrees sitting at home.

How very interesting! This is a similar question brought up by our professor, to which I have not yet given my thoughts to. I am currently taking classes online, and as much as I agree with Sergey Semenyuk on the lack of human face-time interaction in distance learning, learning is indeed possible. We do get to interact in forums such as these and have an exchange of ideas and understanding around a subject. As Brittany Sellers have mentioned, I do get to learn at my own pace, which is what I like the best. Apart from that, it helps a lot that I work in a school and so I have the privilege of seeking help from educators and learn from them as well; to connect my experiences with my learning (or vice versa).

The children are so advanced with technology now that i think that we have to incorperate this in to education.Since they rely on the internet for most of their day then online education is a very valuable tool. 

I think online learning has many advantages, especially for people who work or live abroad. I am enrolled in a online program at the moment where some of my classmates live overseas or in other states but thanks to technology we all share the same class and are able to interact in the regular discussions. It is also true that discipline and commitment are the key to succeed in these courses so I think online courses are not recommended for everybody.  On the other hand, they can be more demanding since you must have read all the material you are given in less time than a regular course. This is very important before you post your own comments. You also are able to go back to your peers comments as many times as you want to re-think or for more analysis. You cannot do it in regular courses.

Online learning might not be the best fit for every student, but I think the important benefits that it brings to the table is the level of personalization and flexibility. Allowing students to work at their own pace, at the time of day that best suits their learning style and outside activities (extracurriculars, work, etc.) can do wonders for some individuals. 

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Silvia Watson posted a blog post

Tips to Get Your Child to Listen

How can you get your little one to listen to you? This is probably the most common question we we hear from parents all over the globe. Children have a on their minds, from the newest computer game, to the soccer tryouts to chemistry test. Toddlers are busy exploring the world and the brain of the older kids are overwhelmed by outside stimuli. They…See More
yesterday
Gary Newman commented on Eileen Lennon's blog post Managing the Modern Classroom
"Thanks for the info. The infographic is great. But you could include some information about writing compare and contrast essay from this blog"
Tuesday
Johnatan Wisniewski replied to Michael Yarbrough's discussion Why Students Plagiarize?
"Michael, I totally agree with you. A lot of students don't know how to do research work, have to cite, create references or use libraries. It's really a problem. And the main teacher goal is to teach to not afraid and how to study…"
Dec 11
Rob Mancabelli updated their profile
Dec 10
Profile IconCorey Mikula, Silvia Watson, Dineo Nkawane and 13 more joined The Educator's PLN
Dec 7
Silvia Watson posted a blog post

Top Fitness Tips That Will Improve Your Horse Riding Skills

Horse riding is a very peaceful pass-time, horseback riding can provide a way by which you can train a remarkable animal and also explore sceneries around you, or become engaged in various competitions, races, and shows. You can be a novice or even a lifetime horse-rider, but in this article, you will learn some tips which are guaranteed to make your riding more enjoyable.Yoga: Yoga can help you because relaxes your body and enables you to lengthen and also loosen your muscles. For horseback…See More
Dec 7
Alexandra Grayson posted a blog post

Goodyear STEM Career Day builds on pivotal, national education priorities

Today’s modern world demands minds able to think deeply and well, so the capacity of America’s learners in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) areas is critical. The US Department of Education has responded with programs designed to…See More
Dec 7
Gary Newman commented on Marianna Velma's blog post 9 Famous Entrepreneurs Who Think That College Is Your Worst Enemy
"You could try to write paper online about this infographic."
Dec 7

Awards And Nominations

© 2017   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service