The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

As a faculty developer here at Old Dominion University, I've been promoting the use of group activities in the classroom and online. Research is supporting that students learn and retain more when the activities are relevant and when they are learning 'hands on.'  I've had some success in winning faculty over, but what I am finding is that my faculty are not really 'savvy' in the creation of the collaborative activities. I work with them to link the activities to their learning outcomes, but this hasn't been easy for them. On top of this, they are having real issues 'managing' the groups. I've read about peer evaluation of groups and have personally found this to work well. I worked with one particular professor in the creation of an online peer evaluation. He used it with some success. He had been having students evaluate each other while in their groups and in the classroom. He told me that all the students felt pressured to give good evaluations to those in their group. Putting the evaluation online did result in more candid responses. It wasn't the perfect solution, however. He told me; "The problem is that it took me several hours to read all the results and I had to print and trash a lot of papers. If you could create a matrix web page where students (and professors) can input (and read) the results in one page that would work better. Basically each student would write the names of his/her colleagues in the column and answer each of the assessment questions in the rows." Has anyone out there created something like this and used it? I'm thinking that perhaps an online PDF with fields... however, that would still result in a lot of reading. I'm interested in any ideas you may have to make group assessment easier. And also, if you have handled groups in another way, I'd be interested in hearing from you!!!

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you tried creating a form in Google Docs? You can make it public or share it with your users only. It puts all results into a spreadsheet, and you can also ask it to "Show Summary" which graphs any numeric answers for you. My 7/8th graders really enjoy using this! Example of how to create it here: http://www.mattsilverman.com/2008/10/introduction-to-google-forms.html Sorry if this wasn't what you are looking for.

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Heidi Dayne Hanson updated their profile
Nov 28
Alvin John Ernst updated their profile
Nov 28
Erick Goodman updated their profile
Nov 21
Heman Kidd updated their profile
Oct 31
Miss Cynthia Eden updated their profile
Oct 20
Profile IconLisa Pendleton, Lynne Simmerman, Ester Collins and 32 more joined The Educator's PLN
Oct 20
Winnie Wang liked Jamie Costello's blog post 3 Best Educational Apps for Student
Oct 17
Winnie Wang shared Jamie Costello's blog post on MySpace
Oct 17

Events

© 2021   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service