The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

Plagiarism is a theft. It means that you stole someone's identity, someone's thoughts. It's horrible. We should teach our young generation not to be thieves and avoid plagiarism.

But theft it's not the biggest problem. As educator and psychologist I did a range of anonymous tests and I found that the most common reason of plagiarizing is fear.

Yes, fear.

Fear of being incorrect.

Fear of being not accepted in college or university.

Fear to show their own feelings and personal opinion.

Psychological pressure from family.
Students don't feel teacher's support, sometimes they are afraid their teachers.
Lack of motivation.
Students plagiarize in case they are stressed out and panicked.
Or the simpliest reason - the subject isn't interesting.

/How to teach our students avoid plagiarism without intimidation? By motivating. How to inspire them? How to make them believe in themselves?

I think that schools, colleges and universities should use plagiarism checkers and make free access for students. Nowadays we know a lot of plag detectors, suc as PlagScan, CopyScan, Copyleaks, Plagskan, Plagium, Grammarly, Turnitin and so on. We prefer Unicheck that provides you with real-time reporting. But anyway such detection tools make the process of defining plagiarism easier.

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Michael, I totally agree with you. A lot of students don't know how to do research work, have to cite, create references or use libraries. It's really a problem. And the main teacher goal is to teach to not afraid and how to study without cheating and copy pasting. I noticed that you've appointed Unicheck. It's a very useful and accurate tool. And I'm sure that this detection tool doesn't have alternatives, because of their high-quality support, service, features and low-cost price, they even have a free package (it means that guys don't want to make money on the education system and care about the quality of education).

I could not have said it better myself. When students plagiarize, it's mostly born from fear rather than laziness or unwillingness to do the work. We use TurnItIn at my school, and I don't use it as a "gotcha" tool, but mostly for the students to keep themselves in check. 

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Carie Ruhl is now a member of The Educator's PLN
yesterday
Ramona Brown and vanessa Herbert, are now friends
Tuesday
Profile IconStephen Martell, Eliz Rhoten, Adrienne Ticehurst and 12 more joined The Educator's PLN
Oct 13
Colby Dockerty posted a blog post

Self-Regulation: Getting Our Students To Care

I think all educators can agree that we want our students to become better self-regulated learners. However, this is a daunting task for teachers. I've spent a great deal of time trying to teach my grade 6 students various self-regulation skills such as planning, goal-setting, self-monitoring, time management, self-control, and reflection, but in past years it hasn't quite "taken" the way I hoped it would. I talk about how important this skills are until I'm blue in the face and I usually get…See More
Oct 12
Barry Parker updated their profile
Oct 9
Barry Parker posted a blog post

A Childhood Educator Is Becoming Commonplace In Teacher Training

School boards and individual teachers are seeking out new ways to improve and maintain their own learning process. Teachers with a passion for their career are routinely discovering innovative ways to brush up on skills, and to develop new methods for delivering information. Teachers know that children have a huge capacity for retaining knowledge, and that every child has their own unique way of grasping the information delivered in the classroom. A childhood educator is an expert in childhood…See More
Oct 9
Barry Parker liked Barry Parker's profile
Oct 9
Joyce Whitby updated their profile
Oct 8

© 2018   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service