The Educator's PLN

The personal learning network for educators

Richardson, W. (2009). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA, Corwin Press.

The second edition of Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms shows educators at all levels and disciplines how to tap into the potential of digital tools for creating relevant, interactive learning experiences in the classroom. With updated research on Web technology, a critical section on Internet safety, and a new emphasis on information literacy with related links, this resource equips teachers with: * Definitions, explanations, and how-to's for using technology to enhance learning * Applications for blogs, wikis, podcasts, Real Simple Syndication (RSS) feeds, aggregators, social bookmarking, and online photo galleries* Real-world examples from K–12 teachers around the world. When teachers expand their knowledge of Web tools to build 21st-century learning skills, they can effectively prepare students for future success.

Views: 158

Replies to This Discussion

Mark, Thank you for the recommendation. I will need to check it out. This book sounds a lot like what I am trying to do with my PLN Technology Integration in Education. For all those who are not familiar with it, we can be found both on Linkedin as a group of over 2600 members and on Ning at http://tech-in-ed.ning.com. I hope I am not reinventing the wheel. I hate when educators do that. It becomes such wasted time. I will defintely check out this read as soon as i get a chance.
Thanks again.

Greg Limperis
ED Tech Consultant
Technology Integration in Education
http://tech-in-ed.ning.com
And the verdict is????
I agree with Greg, Mark. It sounds very interesting.

The project I'm working on is probably on amuch smaller scale than Greg's but a group of teachers are organising a Ning-wiki project to help students to understand the concept and start building their own PLNs.

I don't think you reinvent the wheel in education -you or other people involved always get something new out of an experience, in my view.

If it's alright, I'll register for the Tech in Ed Ning

Beatriz
The first edition of this book compelled me to integrate more technology into my 5th grade classroom. Now I'm a Computer Resource Teacher in Virginia Beach! This is a MUST Read for all educators! Now I follow Richardson on Twitter, as well!

A couple of years ago, I was lucky enough to have a class taught by both Will Richardson and Alan November.  Alan was great at the theory and "big picture" stuff, but Will, a  teacher still in the classroom, was an invaluable resource.  We really got a chance to pick his brain on all of the practical stuff that's hard to pick up from "how-to" material. 

Having said that, Will's book is a wealth of practical information and well worth reading.  He also has a new book coming out soon called Personal Learning Networks, which I plan to buy as soon as it becomes available.

Beth

RSS

About

Thomas Whitby created this Ning Network.

Latest Activity

Alice Thomas posted a blog post

Why is it so important to write a quality MBA essay?

Writing a persuasive and quality MBA essay is one of the essential stages in the MBA application process. It is an examination phrase where you have to include different information in your essay. This article will explain the importance of writing a quality MBA essay and provide insights into the explored topic. Suppose you require the right information about writing quality MBA essays and improve your general understanding. In that case, you are in the appropriate location because this…See More
Friday
Profile IconMaxBurton, Andrew Hickman, Ellis Leigh and 9 more joined The Educator's PLN
Thursday
Jamie Costello posted a blog post

Top tips to increase your productivity through your study room

We’re stuck at home with limited access to many public spaces outdoors, including libraries, co-working spaces and educational institutions. These are just some examples of study areas you may utilise when you need a change in scenery to keep yourself engaged whilst you’re studying. Now, we’re being forced within the four walls of our home which means creating a workspace or room has never been more important. The learning environment that students work in can have a major impact on…See More
Nov 10
Profile IconWalter Holz, Sarah Kerttu, Gaby Eyzaguirre and 5 more joined The Educator's PLN
Nov 4
john smith updated their profile
Oct 30
Jamie Costello posted a blog post

3 Best Educational Apps for Student

When we think of mobile phones in the classroom, it tends to be a forbidden subject as teachers found them as a distraction against education. Parents and teachers would do anything to prevent the use of smartphones in the classroom.  Now we’re seeing a different outlook on the benefits of mobile phones in the classroom. In particular, mobile app development is shedding a light on how mobile phones can actually be the key to educational…See More
Sep 30
Agnes Mckenna updated their profile
Sep 29
Eleonore Cowan updated their profile
Sep 29

Events

© 2020   Created by Thomas Whitby.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service