The personal learning network for educators
Benefits of skip counting for kids
Skip counting is the counting numbers in groups or bundles. For example, counting the numbers in bundles of twos. There are many many examples of such counting in everyday life.
For example; human body is the best example of skip counting. One person got two hands, two persons got four hands and so on. Same is true with other parts of body such as arms, legs, eyes, ears and fingers.
Some more examples of skip counting may include bicycle wheels or car wheels can be used to introduce skip counting by 2's and 4's respectively.
Now there are many benefits of skip counting and few of them are discussed below:
1. By learning skip counting kids start to realize the concept of place value and get ready to learn bigger numbers.
2. Basic skip counting is actually times tables. For example, the skip counting by 2's is actually the 2 times table and similarly by learning skip counting by 3's, 4's and 5's, kids master these times tables.
3. Skip counting can help kids count coins. The ability to count coins will come much easier to a student who has mastered skip counting already.
When they have a number of nickels, dimes and quarters then they can use skip counting to add these coins.
4. By learning skip counting kids develop mental math skills to do simple arithmetic such as addition and subtraction.
5. Even and odd numbers are skip counting by 2's so kids can write bigger even or odd numbers by using skip counting by 2's.
Finally, we can conclude that skip counting is the key arithmetic skill and elementary grade students must learn it and master it to perform excellent in math.
Print skip counting worksheets from online websites for your kids or take them online to play skip counting games.