The personal learning network for educators
Even though you might have been a very good student in your high school, chances are that the strategies you might have adopted earlier, will fail during your college days, because the college exams are different game altogether. This is because; the college exams are highly competitive in nature, without proper structures and less guidance. Moreover, there are comparatively lesser opportunities to make up for the poor scored obtained during the midterms.
During the graduation school, in most of the cases, there are limited elements to grab a commendable score in the finals. With little or no feedback, one has a very little opportunity, to improve their overall performance within the degree course. In order to overcome the upcoming challenges in your college life, here are some unique tips:
1. Group Study: Take part in group discussions or start studying on groups rather than studying alone. However, it is vital to make sure that the group you join is a serious one, rather than hanging out and wasting time.
2. Plan a proper, realistic schedule: Rather than setting up a very strict schedule, it is always better to set up realistic a schedule, with proper time for relaxation and other activities.
3. Take down elongated notes: In this era of multitasking, it is very difficult to remember all your class lectures distinctly; taking down elaborate notes during the college hours, will inevitably help you to keep your brains fully occupied with the classroom lessons and maintain a record of the classroom lectures.
4. Get hold of previous term papers or assignments: It is always better to get hold of the previous year’s question papers of assignments; this will help you to the area, where the instructors will prefer to examine you. By glancing through the assignment papers, you can grab a firsthand knowledge, pertaining to the writing styles, research procedure as well as the citation methods to be followed.
5. Get the sufficient amount of pre-lesson reading materials: In many cases, the pre-lesson materials play a vital role, in turning the lessons manifold easier. Spending some time, in online research is ideally recommended, for a better understanding of the classroom lectures.
6. Attend the lectures: Avoid missing the classroom lectures, unless you have no other options left. Many students tend to perform bad in the midterms, because of missing out the classroom lectures due to the part-time jobs.
7. Record Your Classroom Lectures: In case you are unable to take down class notes in a candid manner, you may also consider the option of recording the lectures in your smartphones or tablets. By revisiting the lectures, after the class you can thus, make the most of it!
8. Start preparing for the midterms at the earliest: Rather than leaving your classroom lessons untouched, until the final examination knocks at your door, start preparing for the midterms with sufficient time in hand. It might so happen that, you will discover a section you might have forgotten or left completely!
9. Get your doubts clarified right away: Compared to the high school, the college examinations are usually cumulative efforts of the previous lessons as well as the new ones. As a result, it is always better to get the doubts clarified, right before proceeding towards a new lesson. The online tutorial sessions might come handy in this respect if you find it difficult to approach the professors.
10. Start Experimenting With The Way You Study: Instead of learning your lessons by heart, try to understand and implement the knowledge earned every day. Taking down hand notes, scribbling, sketching the lessons in chart forms help a lot in memorizing the lessons. In order to earn commendable grades, you don’t need to stick with any hard and fast rules; try out, what suits you best.
11. Take help from your seniors: Seeking fruitful help from the seniors can be an arduous task for the introvert individuals. Meeting people, and socializing with them can be stressful if you have the fear of disapproval; but, the social networking sites, has made it possible to access people right from your home. Try to interact with the seniors online, and discuss the lessons with them in casual conversation. This can be helpful, especially while preparing your dissertations or writing assignments.
12. Explore All possible Resources: Apart from the classroom lectures, these days it is very easy to access additional reading material from the web world. One can also go through the series of audio books, or YouTube lectures,math tutoring websites to understand a topic in a better way. However, with such cases, you must be careful about the recourse you are opting for. With ample blogs, and reading materials available online, it requires some time to find the best reliable websites who can deliver the correct information in the simplistic manner.
Even if you have been receiving poor grades, in your midterm as well as finals, the above mentioned study tips, is sure to change the overall scenario. Try out the strategies, that works best for you and apply it throughout the year to get commendable grades!